As a person with a love of writing and intricate nail art, I knew I had to try this unusual newspaper print design as soon as I found out how it was done. The method couldn’t be simpler and the look can be achieved in a few easy steps:
1. Paint your nails a suitable base colour (here I’ve plumped for Barry M’s Gelly High Shine in Lychee) and wait for the polish to dry completely.
2. Cut a few nail-sized pieces out of a newspaper article (more than ten is advisable in case you have a mishap).
3. Soak the pieces in a bowl of alcohol- I dug out an old bottle of gin but I imagine any clear coloured spirit would also work. If you don’t have any alcohol water will also work but the text will not be as dark.
4. Remove a newspaper piece from the bowl with tweezers and press firmly but carefully to the nail. This can be a little fiddly at first and it’s easy to smear the text but the good news is that you can wipe it off with a damp paper towel and start again as many times as you need to!
5. Once you are happy with the design, seal it with a good dose of top coat.
Ideas to jazz up the design even more:
– seal with a matte top coat to enhance the newspaper effect
– use neon colours as a base coat
– use foreign language newspapers for some added exotic flavour